Intumescent coating types
Advanced, hybrid technology intumescent
- Able to apply 2-3mm in one-coat application, resulting in far greater productivity onsite for the main contractor and subcontractor.
- Some products can be applied in very high humidity and tolerate water on the surface in just an hour after application.
- Some products have low VOC.
- Some products can be applied offsite and onsite as they are not affected by ponding or pooling.
- Some products are very easy to repair if damaged during construction.
- Some products can be applied over SA 2.5 blasted steel with tight surface rust for indoor application only.
- Exterior exposure requires SA 2.5 with approved epoxy zinc or galvanising.
- Most products can be overcoated with a top coat.
- Some products don’t give high end glass type finish.
- Can be more expensive than thin film, water-based products.
- Generally better suited to 90 to 120 minute FRLs.